When it comes to Bay Area event planning, we find that ten basic ingredients are used over and over again. Therefore, we consider these ten ingredients to be a must in every kitchen. Since water has been determined to be the most used ingredient worldwide, we consider this to be a given. So, below, we offer our ten most essential ingredients every kitchen must have:
- Eggs – eggs are not only a meal, of sorts, that can come in many varieties: hardboiled, soft-boiled, scrambled and/or poached, eggs are also a staple found in most baked foods because of their binding quality and ability to provide moisture.
- Flour – what would the world of food be like without flour? Flour has been around since the most ancient of times and is used in such universal and timeless dishes as breads, crackers, cakes cookies, coatings and gravies. Very few baked items do not include flour.
- Oil – while oil provides moisture and is a binding ingredient, oil also provides texture, flavor and reduces elasticity in nearly every baked item. Oil also provides variety to the cooking process, specifically frying, deep-frying, stir-fried, and also frees other foods from sticking to the pan.
- Tomato paste – if you have to reduce vegetables down to one specific type, tomato paste is our choice, because of its versatility. Tomato paste can be used in soups, pizzas, sauces, and more.
- Seasonings – would that we could all eat our foods without flavor, but because this is not possible for most of us, every kitchen should contain a few seasonings, such as salt, pepper, garlic, cumin and/or oregano.
- Cheese – Charles De Gaulle once said, “How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?” We love our cheese. And while detest this flavor, most would consider cheese to be a staple in every kitchen.
- Rice – next to water, worldwide, rice is probably the most consumed food. And rice is also very versatile and can be used in countless meals, both as a side dish and a main course.
- Sugar source – meaning either white, brown, raw or substitute. We like our foods sweet, which makes this ingredient a must have in most people’s kitchen.
- Vegetables – this is a matter of choice, when it gets down to which specific one. Some would consider baby greens or possibly spinach, corn or carrots.
- Fruits – again a matter of choice as to which one, but no kitchen, or body, can go too long without having a daily dose of fruit.
We, here at Handheld Catering love what we do. We love working with food, people,
planning, events and providing the most satisfactory outcome possible, which is why we are passionate about, and well known for, our outstanding type of Bay Area event planning.